Originally written for Tumblr
Dear Future Child,
We haven’t met yet and when we do I probably will be a little hysterical, but I promise I will be very very happy, because when the time comes I will have been waiting for you for a long time (of course this will happen when I am ready but you get the idea.)I can’t promise you a father, because when I make a family it may just be you and me baby. Of course we won’t be alone, we will have my whole family and my friends and I promise you this, we will build a community of our own. And if there is a father, I promise he will be the best damn one there is or I will be your only guardian, because you deserve one awesome parent and extended family rather than a lout of a partner for a parent.
I promise I will keep you warm when you need to be warm and I promise to keep you cool when you need to be cool.
I will love you but I will not love your mistakes. I will discipline you because you need to know what is acceptable and what is not acceptable. You will learn from your mistakes. Your mistakes will not learn from you.
I will love your sexuality and love your gender. You do not have to be afraid. I will love your race and ethnicity. I went to a Women’s College in a “rough" part of town. I embrace difference and challenge. You will be great. There is no such thing as perfection and no such thing as normalcy. You define it baby. Not me. Not anyone else.
I promise that I will embarrass you and give all your potential suitors a run for their money, it’s nothing personal baby it’s just my job.
I can’t promise you baby to keep you safe because the world is out to get you. You will get hurt, you will be disappointed and you will cry but I will be there to support you. I can’t promise you baby that you will not be alone. I can teach you be independent, I can teach what I know and how it has kept me alive, happy and healthy but there are things that you must know and must learn from the life that you lead. You can follow me, because I can promise you this. I will be a good leader.
In many ways I have been training and practicing for this future date when we will meet and you will become my baby and I will become your mother.
And of course, I promise I will love you. I’m actually pretty good at it. I have a big heart. I learned from my parents who adopted me also. I love without condition, because I stayed with an idiot for two years trying to teach him about love with the patience nobody else could muster and I have a dog that tries the very definition of patience. I love them both. I will love you baby because one of the things I really wanted to be among being a writer, a college graduate, a friend, a girlfriend, a dog trainer, a content developer, a marketing associate, a feminist…More than all those things, I wanted to be your mother.
Well I hope to see you at some undetermined date at some undetermined time at the future.
Love from your Future Mother,
Chinny
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home