Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Too Many Adventures on One Hiking Trip: THIS SHIT JUST GOT REAL!

I kid you not.

I was hiking today with my class.

5 of us got separated from our group. 3 of the other people we were hiking with didn't cross the creek like we did and climb the slope to the other side. They stayed on one side of the creek and hiked on their own. We continued on our way and expected to meet up with them at the trail head.

We didn't.

Instead.

We came across an abandoned cabin that was covered in graffiti.

It was in plain view. It wasn't really too far from the trail. It was on a high hill, slope. We had to climb up to get to it. It was brightly decorated with notes, symbols and signs. It said "FRESH PRINCE OF BEL AIR." We all laughed. 

This guy who was with us found that the door was front door was open on the first level. It looked, I am not shitting you, like the inside of the building in "The Blair Witch Project" where the characters died. And then we went up to the second level. There wasn't a door so the guy went inside with two of the girls. Me and this other girl refused to go in because the floor boards looked so rotten and unsturdy they were going to collapse. It was covered in weird writing and more graffiti. And a circle of candles.

I remarked, "There's probably asbestos in the walls (what's left of them.) We shouldn't be here."

One girl said, "I bet this is where people do drugs and have unprotected sex."

Later my friend balked, "Why would you have unprotected sex THERE? You can have unprotected sex anywhere. Fucking idiots."

I understand the location isn't at all ideal and probably a bad idea since there are probably a thousand ways you could die just being in that cabin, not including being cursed. But seriously. Unprotected sex was the last thing that crossed my mind. Curses. Seances. That was the very thing that entered my brain upon walking up to the place.

I immediately said this to the group, as sort of a half joke and half warning.

"This is exactly how horror stories begin. We all die afterwards!" And that's of course when the guy threw open the not-locked-door. He stepped inside and put his head through all the large holes in the building. I was terrified that something other than his face would put itself through those holes.

I'm a worry wart. I realize that.

It was sort of bad ass though, I admit. But I was way too straight laced, prudish, whatever the fuck you want to say. I say sensible, too sensible to climb into the building. It looked as if it could fall apart any second. The floor boards on the second level didn't look like they could support anybody. Even a cat.

And yet nobody tumbled through the floor or was asphyxiated by toxic fumes. I bet people carved places to stash their drugs in the walls like that fraternity house my friend once told me about.

Anyway. We got out of there eventually and continued on our way.

We saw a doe on the trail. She trotted away when we began to move towards her.

Then the guy picked berries. He passed them out to everybody. I got what he said was a wild strawberry. I trusted it was a strawberry but I didn't eat it. I didn't want to risk it. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home