Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Last Night by Skillet

I first heard the song in a short music video (fanmade) but nonetheless promoting the highly anticipated (at least for me) Final Fantasy installment, Versus. The music video highlights the relationship between the two protagonists, Noctis and Stella as well as the this song, "The Last Night" by Skillet. I instantly fell in the love, because it was very unique. It featured a male and female soloist, which is not uncommon since there are song that features two artists, I was amazed to discover that it is was ONE BAND.

I like that. I like how there are more bands that have male and female members like Cobra Starship, The Hush Sound and Shiny Toy Guns. I also like how there are two singers and they trade singing certain songs like the Shiny Toy Guns' "Le Disko" and "Starts With One"; The Hush Sound with "Wine Red." I think that's really cool. Skillet, is like that also. They are composed of two men and two women.

However, as much as I like the song, I think the content is something to be wary of. The song "The Last Night" talks about a suicidal, or at least a girl who is at the ends of her rope and unable to cope with her parents neglegence or uncaring nature in response to her emotional frustration. They imply depression. The male singer is singing to her about how it will be "the last night you spend alone." He tells her in lyrics that he will hold her and save her from suicide or depression by being there for her and her parents are wrong.

I do agree that many times parents dismiss depression in adolescents as "just a phase and you'll be OK." But I think it is wrong to learn to only rely on a boyfriend and believe that he will always make it right. I think that would only be the case if your parents were like abusive or something.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just rambling. I know I'm being hypocritical, because I condone my parents all the time for not knowing how I feel. It's true. They don't. They try, but it's almost evenly half time a hit and miss. But sometimes, mostly my mom, is right. At least she knows and believes.

So maybe what I'm trying to get at, is that maybe not all the time are your parents wrong and your boyfriend/girlfriend are right. It can be the otherway around or it can be right. But try before you just fling yourself at your boyfriend/girlfriend.

I don't know. I don't even have one so maybe I should just shut up.

I love the song anyway. It's really great. And the music video with Noctis and Stella was AMAZING.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home