Monday, January 30, 2012

She said my name

We were told in my Native Studies class today that Native people have multiple names. They are given a milk name as an infant and toddler. Some children aren't named until four months after they are born. Then they are given a puberty name. Men or women alike then earn a name after achieving some great honor. None of these names are shed throughout their life but often are not spoken outside of the tribal community or shared with just anybody.

She said my name. The one I was given in high school by OBLEP until well "IT" happened, as well...Anyway not to delve deep, anyway she said my name. She told her friends that my name was Chinny. It felt good to be Chinny again because nobody calls me that anymore. It's not that I have in any way outgrew Chinny but nobody calls me that. Chinny doesn't fit in college or my intimate life or my familial life. Just with certain people at certain times. And then I become "her" again.

It felt nice to be Chinny again even if it was only for an allotted time.

Sadly I think people used to like me more when I was Chinny than when I'm me now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home