Thursday, November 10, 2011

I could smack that guy

I could smack him, not with a tennis racket but with my bare fists. I would probably lose, but in the bounds and in the realms of my imagination. My imagination is hyper active, souped up on who knows what, but it moves and leaps and bounds. I don't really want to smack him, but all the nervous energy and frusteration of seeing and hearing a friend upset makes me what to do things that people just don't do. People don't become animals with bared teeth and bristling hackles, with skin that is covered in coarse hair that raises in fiercest emotion. They don't have incisors that can take off an arm or canines that resemble dangerously sharp kitchen cutlery. They don't have languages built in scent, build and bodies. They don't pin their opponents to the ground with teeth and jaws wrapped around shoulder blades and scruff of neck and shake most violently. I don't want to kill or pretend or play around. I don't mean it but I do.

No, I just want to control someone. That in itself is very inhuman. Not animal. Not vegetable. Not mineral.

Inhuman and beyond recognition in any Earth terms.

I want to make him listen and when the anger subsides and I am a human person again. With a beating heart and no hackles, I just sit by him and tell him what she wanted to be told and what I felt my loved one didn't need, but in my mind, needed to know.

"If you love her as much as you say you do, claim you do, know you do than you love her enough to let. If you love her, you will let her go.

"You may not understand what I am trying to tell you as gently and as patiently as I can, but I speak from experience.

"From the beginning we knew where we stood with one another. We respected each other as our own separate people but we wanted to be together. He had goals and I had mine. He wanted to go away from where I was and though this made me worry and made me sad, I loved him so much I could not keep him from what he longed to do.

"Never have I asked him to stay. I always told him that I stand by him whatever he does. I will go to him whenever he is. Because I want to be with him. But should our paths take us to places where we can no longer follow each other, I don't want him unless it is his decision to do so, to follow me where I am. I know he would want the same of me.

"Do you see what I mean?

"It's hard to.

"Try. Really try.

"I want him to be happy. Don't you want her to be happy? That happiness may not be with me or be with you, but if makes them happy than we should gracefully say goodbye. It is hard and it is not truthfully what we want but if we cling to them and force them to stay with us, it is not what they want. It is not what they need. It will not make him happy or make her happy.

"Do you see now?

"If you love her then you will let her go."

I would pat him kindly on the shoulder and smile. That is all.

Although in a moment of frustration I could just smack him for being so stubborn and stuck in his ways. But I would never actually do so. What good would that do?

Violence never solves anything. It just creates more problems.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home