Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year's 2010: Boy Meets Girl

So this is a day or so late, but whatever. Happy New Year, to me I guess. A thought occurred to me after watching "Julie & Julia" or "Julia & Julie", that maybe I'm just sending my thoughts and stuff into a big black cyber hole along with the other thousands of blogs that are unread and uncared about. I suppose the only one who can truly be satisfied is myself by myself, because I have the satisfaction knowing that I made this and I wrote all this. Crap or ranting or not. It's here and I'm here, writing more.

But anyway, Happy New Year of 2010. It is the year that:

1.) I will finish my first year in college
2.) I will hopefully find a summer job
3.) The classes of 2010 will graduate
4.) "Alice in Wonderland" will be released (OBL has promised, pinky promised to watch it WITH ME)
5.) Andrew "Awesome" Lloyd Webber's musical sequel to Phantom of the Opera, "Love Never Dies" will premiere in West End and on Broadway in March...I think (I MUST HAVE THE SOUNDTRACK OR I SHALL SURELY PERISH IF I CANNOT HEAR RAMIN KARMILOO)

6.) Supposedly the year 2010 makes the last two years of sentiment life on the planet Earth as we know it, because according to the Mayans and the movie of "2012" most of us will die. A part of me is slightly worried, but people have reassured me, the end of the world or Armageddon has been speculated countless times before this "date of disaster."

So I've been texted and FBed "Happy New Year" by some friends, give or take exclamations points. And well, I don't really have a resolution, although I did ask a friend if he had one. Resolutions are promises that are intended to be followed like a strict regiment of medication, but in fact, resolutions are mostly made to be broken. I don't think I ever successfully completed a long standing resolution of mine to finish a story from end to beginning. Because, I would always go "Oh there's always NEXT year." Well, it's that year and still no story. Well there are, but far too many. I suppose if this blog were to count...No, because this is a horrible story and I don't know when it will end.

This New Year's will be slightly less memorable as the past New Years, but I know it's far more exciting...or memorable than last year. We're skiing as usual with the Schorows. We're in a cabin, which is not near Bear Valley, but Royal Gorge and Tahoe Donner. I always get the skiing resorts mixed up, because we've been to all three so many times. It's hard to believe this is still California, but it just goes to show that people can't think of California as Hollywood or the Silicon Valley full of conceited superstars, ignorant yuppies or ground nosed studious types. Yeah, don't I sound proud? No, I am very happy here, but seriously, CA people are as diverse as you can get. We've got pretty much every type of being you can imagine. Which is weird when you come to Truckee and Soda Springs, because it feels like you're in Nevada or Colorado. Or maybe another state...I don't know Minnesota? I've never been, but I bet if I took pictures you'd never guess California.

Anyway, New Years. New Years, we had exhausted ourselves skiing for a good portion of the day and had not quite decided what we wanted to do with ourselves to celebrate apart from opening some special bubbly wines and ciders, eating more than we should...And perhaps watching a movie. We decided we would not venture to town to see if there was any parties we could join or fireworks we could watch. We agreed on having a sit in holiday, this year. So I think it's time that I described the cabin we are currently staying in, because it would better explain WHY we were invited to go to a party down the street.

So this cabin is one of like...four, yes four, that make up a cul 'de sac. All the cabins have borderless, spacious and fenceless backyards that still higher than the road level, up in the trees and snow. And cabins are kind of bad names for these fixtures, because they are more like small houses, but built to accommodate every occupant for the winter or the summer. They are definitely for recreational or outdoorsy people. So our cabin is one of the two that makes up the end of the U.

Down the street is another cul 'de sac, where the largest house is owned by a couple, Norm and Joan. Norm walked over to our cabin and I presume all over the neighborhood to invite people to a New Year's party at his new, but slightly unfinished house. My parents were not feeling well and LeeAnn is kind of a recluse, so is Marcus so it was just me and our family friends who decided to head out to the party.

The party was pretty low key, I mean there were a good amount of kids, food and adults, but not really anyone in between. There was beer they had stuck in the snow and lights strung every which way, a Christmas tree and leftover presents stuffed beneath. The party mostly occupied the kitchen and sitting room, a few rooms were occupied, because Norm was giving people a tour of the new place. Mona and David were soon being chatted up and chatting up, because small world, many of the guests worked for HP.

I made some small talk, but I was feeling like I'd be sitting for an inordinate amount of time in a loser fashion. So, I figured, heck I may as well get started. I went over to look at the appetizers, but I was sort of stuffed, but one of the hostesses was looking at me while I went to see what was served, so I HAD to take SOMETHING. I took something I was hoping was sweet, but it turned out it was some sort of spread made with horse radish on a crusty piece of toast. Thank goodness I had Martinell's or I think I may have died. I sat down in front of the four legged stove, because it had a wide area where people could either sit or put there boots there. I sat there and I had noticed earlier that there were two guys who looked approximately my age. Well, they looked older than me, but I knew they were closer to my age than the thirty year olds drinking beer.

One guy was Asian. A surprise. There aren't many Asians who really do winter stuff around here. I mean they do, but not cross country. Not usually. He was short, maybe about my height and a little heavier set. He had a glasses and the beginnings of what would be a very wispy, wiry mustache. His face was circular with thick, short hair and he was wearing water absorbant clothes. A clear sign he wasn't really a outdoorsy person. He had disappeared with what appeared to be his guardian, but his friend was still lingering around. In fact, his companion was sitting a little further down the stove "bench."

I was getting hot and I knew my cheeks were burning. Well flaming more than usual. I was observing the kids who had set themselves up in the same room, the sitting room adjoined with the kitchen. They were sitting around the couch and coffee table, screaming and chattering over the music (Coldplay, 90's music) playing some sort of charades game. It was pretty amusing and I laughed, the guy on my right laughing as well. We exchanged looks, equally bemused by the kid's antics, and that's what took off. The conversation, that is.

I don't remember what exactly was said, but I told him I'd move over to this chair on his left, because the stove was burning my backside. Eventually, I learned his name was Mishi pronounced "Michel" as if it was Michael in French. I learned he was not from Russia, which surprised me, because that was my immediate guess after hearing his accent. Mishiko was from Georgia. We chattered on about things and I was surprised how comfortable I was. I could look him in the eye, without averting my gaze. It was really weird.

Mishi is a year younger than me and finishing his last year in high school. Well, that was a surprise, because of course he was a half foot taller than me if not a foot completely and looked older than me as well. I had on eye liner, but that either makes me look like a tween trying to look older or a ginormous 14 teen year old or a hooker. I don't know. I hope not any of the three, but I have had too much past experience being mistaken for a "child."

Anyway, it was really nice. I got to meet an exchange student from Georgia. He asked me many questions which I answered as best I could, so he wouldn't be confused. Example: He asked me if I lived in Soda Springs, I told him no. I said I did live in California, because how would I explain otherwise? I asked him questions about his hobbies and music, etc, which he told me enthusiastically. We talked about all sorts of things, laughing each other.

I wonder if it's same to say this here, but I was getting the idea he was probably interested in me a little. Eventually, it came up about boyfriends, girlfriends. He asked me if I had a boyfriend, a little cautiously, his voice had kinda slowed a little so it sounded like, "Do you have a...boyyyfrienddd?" A little more delicately, you know? I told him no. He was surprised and was like, "Why?" I told him as best I could. Boys don't like me I guess. I told him that I never had a boyfriend or if there were guys who liked me, it was only because they wanted to make themselves feel better after breaking up with their girlfriends. I smiled though and said I'm not too worried, I'm strong. He laughed a little, not at me, but with me and said don't worry it's important. So I asked him in kind. He said, "Not now." He explained there was a girlfriend, but she and he had broken up, because he didn't want to do long distance.

Of course, after meeting the guys I had with DN and AS at the club all those months ago, I was beginning to fear that Mishi was making up stuff. I know he wasn't, but I don't know why. I just seem to resolve that if I meet a nice guy, he must be like all the other douches I knew before. Or something must be wrong. I guess my mom and Mona are right. If a guy likes me and I think he's a creep, or insist he is a creep, it must be because I don't believe a guy would like me. But that guy who belongs in a bottle and should never ever grant wishes, he was a creep. He doesn't scare me. He makes me so pissed off.

Anyway, I think it's safe from my observations, that Mishi probably was a little interested. I mean I guess I was a little interested. Heavens, I'm older than him by a year, but I'm sure he's far more experienced than I am, in the social department. Most people are. I'm no goody goody, but I didn't thrust myself into those sort of escalating types of social events, even now.

We parted with each other's full names and emails on a piece of paper. FB, of course. I found him and he without internet access, obviously has not responded. I wonder if he will at all. The next day, yesterday, Mona who David chided for continuously bringing up Mishi and the other guy whose name is Tao, invited them over to play Cranium. David was saying that he felt Mona was "intruding", otherwise trying to set me up. Well, yes, I think Mona was a little, because she brought them up more than I did, but I think mostly she was just interested in how they were both from other countries and well, Mona is an instructor and likes "kids."

So they came over. I think it went well, but I have a feeling nobody was really prepared for Mishi's energetic, fearless behavior. I thought of him as being very playful and energetic, qualities I'm really used to seeing in guys. But Mona, despite having Marcus who is quiet, reserved and highly intelligent, but playful in a more teasing boyish manner, would not be used to Mishi. I think Marcus and David may have been a little irked. I hope it worked out. All we did was play Cranium and then the two left. They are leaving today.

I emailed DN. I just feel restless. I couldn't describe it to her. But I felt uncomfortable with being so comfortable around him. So, yesterday I reverted to my normal self. Unable to make eye contact, although it improved, but I became really really skittish for a while. I just hope they aren't discussing or thinking we're boring people or anything. Mona told them I went to an all female college, which perked Mishi's interest almost immediately, he was a little surprised. And then I begrudgingly said, "Yeah if you ever visit, I've got plenty of single friends." SHIT. Could I be more stupid?

Mona was said she was sorry when I vocalized how I didn't want them to know. No, it's fine. If we kept talking, I'm sure I would have said so anyway. I am not embarrassed or ashamed to go to a female college and I love it. But. I will be single for a long time because of it. People immediately assume if they don't know me, think I'm a feminist, "too smart for a woman" or believe me to be a lesbian. I am not any of the three. I am smart, but not smart in science or math. I tend to become so frazzled I say things that are stupid. And my brain doesn't work. I am not a lesbian, but if I was, why would I be interested in the male person addressing me? And feminist? Well I think every woman should defend themselves as a woman, but I am not going to lecture you about our male dominated society. Yes it bothers me, but I won't go on a crusade or something. College has just opened my eyes to racism and sexism like I've never seen before.

I don't know what to make of my New Year's though. I should be grateful and flattered. I am. I am flattered. A guy was interested in talking to me and interested enough to come over to play Cranium. But I wonder what will become of this. Is this a sign that I am attractive to guys and that maybe there will be a guy who is genuinely interested in me?

The day before, Mishi was joking about how I should study in Europe when I go abroad. He wants to stay closer to home, to Georgia, but will try to get into an American college IN Europe. Well, hopefully the two of us can stay in contact and maybe when I go to Europe, I'll have someone I know besides Eleanor, who I don't particularly want to visit, because she'll just harrass me about how I'm majoring in English and studying Japanese.

I hope Mishi and I stay in touch. That's what I want New Years "to become." Naritai.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home