Friday, October 23, 2009

Math in a Minute

Brown Hat fell down. The ambulance came. I've never seen someone fall.

It all happened so fast. One minute, she was sitting at the computer, working adjacent of me. She was perfectly aligned, just sitting there minding her work. She wasn't sickly in appearance, she wasn't pale. Her eyes did not droop, there weren't bruised, purplish circles beneath her eyes where the spectacles sat on the bridged slope of her nose. She didn't appear weak or tired. She didn't look ill. Maybe she was all of the above, but I didn't notice. Keyonce didn't notice either and neither did the Lunar Cloud.

Nobody did.

When Brown Hat suddenly got up and collected her things, Keyonce joked with her, "And where do you think you're going Brown Hat?"

"I don't feel good."

In unison we said, "Oh. Sorry. See you later."

She tripped on the way past us, which was startling, but nothing out of the ordinary. Just a mistake? A mistake.

We carried on with our work, the three of us. Brown Hat made her way over, desks over, space over to tell our math teacher she was going to leave class early, because she wasn't feeling well. Time passed. And then that's when she fell. She just fell down.

I didn't see her go down. I just heard a loud noise. Not a sickening crunch. Just a loud noise. Not hollow, but a heavy noise. Bodies colliding with carpeted, floor does not like anything I could accurately describe. But she was on the ground, out of sight.

Everyone now was looking at her. Our teacher made an exclamation. Everyone else got up from their desks to look at Hat.

Keyonce and I were disturbed. Couldn't they just leave her alone?

It wasn't chaotic. It was very cool. Everyone was worried, but worried in the wrong ways. Keyonce, Cloud and myself just stayed glued to our seats. I occasionally got up to pace a little worriedly or because I thought I heard the paramedics. One girl had the nerve to get up and tell the world that Hat had fallen down. What a heroine right? She also told Hat she saved her. RIGHT!

That night was the night the Sarahs, myself, Ana and Shameen went out, to Telegraph to see a free belly dancing show. I didn't say anything to them about the math scare. It was surprising and it was scary.

Hat is OK. We're better acquainted now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home