BNW Journal Entry # 5
Why the hell am I doing this? She's just going to hate what I write anyway. I'm only average.
---
I've decided that I don't really like Lenina, but I suppose I'm being judgmental and hypocritical. Or maybe I'm not. Lenina is manipulative and wants to dispel rumors about her, by going against what people accuse of being: monogamous and not promiscuous enough. So she goes out with Bernard to quiet peoples' suspicions. People want people to like them, accept them, I do not think anyone can deny that. I do understand there are hermits, but do they really accept being alone? Personally, I don't think that anyone really, truly, honestly wants to unaccepted. Some people clearly want to be accepted by any means necessary and do all sorts of strange, horrendous things just to be "popular" or "maintain" a reputation.
It's sad. Very sad.
I never want to maintain a reputation or friends based on what I look like or how I choose to act. I mean by eliminating qualities that people dislike about me for no reason other than I am not enough like a celebrity or like Them. I want to be accepted for who I am, exactly who I am. But that is never the case. We do, I realize, have to change ourselves a little bit, because who we are on the inside or even outside is not completely accepted. That goes without saying; that's sort of a given, I guess.
Anyway, I am not fond of Lenina, because she can't appear to defend herself or stand up to herself. She so easily and willingly will do something just to prove that she isn't what they fear her to be. But it is not only her fault. It's the other parities' fault as well, as they cannot just accept her word as the truth. They need some sort of physical or visible evidence before believing her. That is really sad, along with many other aspects of this Huxley society. But I know what he's getting at. He's a very clever man.
---
I've decided that I don't really like Lenina, but I suppose I'm being judgmental and hypocritical. Or maybe I'm not. Lenina is manipulative and wants to dispel rumors about her, by going against what people accuse of being: monogamous and not promiscuous enough. So she goes out with Bernard to quiet peoples' suspicions. People want people to like them, accept them, I do not think anyone can deny that. I do understand there are hermits, but do they really accept being alone? Personally, I don't think that anyone really, truly, honestly wants to unaccepted. Some people clearly want to be accepted by any means necessary and do all sorts of strange, horrendous things just to be "popular" or "maintain" a reputation.
It's sad. Very sad.
I never want to maintain a reputation or friends based on what I look like or how I choose to act. I mean by eliminating qualities that people dislike about me for no reason other than I am not enough like a celebrity or like Them. I want to be accepted for who I am, exactly who I am. But that is never the case. We do, I realize, have to change ourselves a little bit, because who we are on the inside or even outside is not completely accepted. That goes without saying; that's sort of a given, I guess.
Anyway, I am not fond of Lenina, because she can't appear to defend herself or stand up to herself. She so easily and willingly will do something just to prove that she isn't what they fear her to be. But it is not only her fault. It's the other parities' fault as well, as they cannot just accept her word as the truth. They need some sort of physical or visible evidence before believing her. That is really sad, along with many other aspects of this Huxley society. But I know what he's getting at. He's a very clever man.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home